Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Homesteading has no time off

Well, I have had a bad cold since the middle of last week and I am on a mini vacation - stay at home vacation with holidays extending the weekend.  I have been doing my best to not let my cold get worse since others who have had a similar cold have gotten much worse and been sick for weeks.  Luckily I think it is working and just from resting, tea and cough drops.  No meds if at all possible and so far it is working!

However, the homestead doesn't know I have a cold and chores still have to be done.  I have skipped the late night chores and tried to get the feeding and watering done once in the day.  It has been working mostly, except the baby chicks are still inside because I haven't felt comfortable with them being outside since it is much colder than I thought it would be and because I haven't done the extra work converting the coop.  So, peepy little chicks in the bathroom but it is actually okay, it means I can monitor them better and have more interaction which I wouldn't if they were in the coop.  So, really, it is pretty good.  The muscovies are also still sharing the chicken coop because I want to change their pen before I release them to the outside again, there are a few things that aren't working as well as I had hoped when I originally put it together...they have kinda chosen to stay in the coop.  I open the door to the coop a bit and all the chickens come out and the ducks stay in. 

The muscovies are pretty amazing.  I went into the coop today and they were all roosting at the roof level!  They sure can fly even with clipped wings!

Hopefully this storm coming tomorrow won't be too bad and I can get some work done on the pens and coops Thursday with a bit more energy and over this cold!

In the meantime I am trying to get bits of stuff done around the house on my "mini vacation".  I will post on that later.

The babies are growing and are feathering out!

2 comments:

  1. Kitty - enjoyed catching up on all of your posts...in a word - woofer!

    Glad to see you fared so well in the storm as did all of your feathered and furry ones.

    Have you though of using an intern from a local college (agricultural) or even the 4H club to help with the carpentry work? Volunteer hours are always a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen!

    The problem with volunteers is I get the stuff to make things kind of piece meal and work on it the same way. Nothing I have is exactly what most folks would recommend, I can't afford those types of things. And here, Ag students are big farm, big chicken not little homestead type things. Even the "backyard chickens" organization here is pretty "elite" meaning "hobby farmers" which means folk who are doing it because they want fresh eggs and pets, not too many doing what I am doing. :-( There are lots of folks doing what I am but they kinda do what I do, piece meal things or they are a stay at home wife, husband that is the sole bread winner and builds things on the weekends.

    Anyway, I keep moving along as much as I can. Hopefully this weekend I will get alot done...the rest of the week looks out due to the upcoming storm...so probably just as well the ducks are still in the shed coop and the babies are in the house!

    Glad you are following!

    ReplyDelete