Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day One and Two of Hunting

This week is shotgun season.  I missed most of antlerless for a variety of reasons...Weddings, Hurricanes, important things like that!  So, I really wanted to get at least a little time in this week...not like it produced anything for my freezer but I usually enjoy the time anyway.

For one thing, it forces me to slow down and just be.  I was only able to spend a couple hours Monday afternoon and this afternoon.  I was off Monday and doing a lot of work on the homestead and today I went into work early so I could get out early.  The guys that lease the woods behind where I live said I can use their stands when they aren't in town.

So, Monday I spent a bit of time watching a Red Bellied Woodpecker, he was quite amusing, carrying one piece of corn at a time to the nest by hopping from tree to tree, depositing it and then ziplining back to the corn pile where a couple squirrels were munching away.  Today i watched squirrels mostly at a different spot.  The squirrels were the active ones this time and zipping all around with leaves and acorns.  I watched one stuff its cheeks so much it couldn't close its mouth and then went zipping up to a nest at the top of the tree.  Another squirrel kept playing peek a boo with me from the tree next to mine and then went bounding back and forth almost smacking me in the head. One of the amazing things when sitting in the woods at sunset is when it just starts to get dim out and the birds just erupt in song everywhere at once...pretty awesome!

Sadly, no deer but It was nice to chill with nature for a bit.  Then I got home to all of my Muscovies out of the coop and refusing to return...so they are all hanging under the Juniper tree because I wasted quite a bit of time trying to chase them back in the dark and finally gave up!

So, now I have bread rising and am trying to relax a bit because homework is done and I have a very busy next couple days working out of town at training - gonna be nice because it involves hiking through woods and wetland but also long hours and lots of driving.

Next hunting opportunity will be black powder week in a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment