Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hunting Day 3

I went hunting again this evening, the last day of regular shotgun season until after the new year, there is still one week of antlerless before the end of the year. I was not successful in bringing home a deer but it was one more step in my hunting experience.  I enjoyed the usual time of peace in the woods,  The most exciting thing was seeing a pileated woodpecker, they are just so very cool, it was pretty awesome. 

The most amazing part of the hunt however was just a little before end time.  A doe started walking into sight...I have never seen a deer on a deer hunt, believe it or not.  I have seen them when I have been out hunting other animals but I have never been able to get a deer because I have never seen one during deer season, I have never shot at one either, obviously.  So, I was like...oh my...now what?!  My adrenalen kicked in and I was all shaky.  The doe stayed mostly behind a tree for quite a bit of time.  It was getting darker and since I knew I would either hit the doe or completely miss, not much chance of wounding, I finally took a shot.  Sadly, I missed and no meat for my freezer but it was an amazing experience.  It was the deer's day and I do not begrudge her life.  Hunting is all about luck and skill, being at the right place at the right time and a bunch of fate.  Today's fate was I want home empty handed and the deer went on running through the woods.  I will have another chance to put food in my freezer and I am thankful for the opportunity and the experience of being out there and a part of that natural cycle.

Hail the landvaettir and hail Ullr and Frey!

No comments:

Post a Comment