Thursday, October 4, 2012

World Tree Rabbitry and exciting news!

My rabbitry is called World Tree Rabbitry.  It has taken a couple years to get going but I am finally at a comfortable place with it.  I raise four breeds of rabbits, 2 medium breeds and 2 large heritage breeds.  (I promise pictures soon!)

It is important to me to raise the heritage breeds because I totally believe we need to keep diversity in our foods, animal and vegetable and the heritage breeds are the backbone to all our modern stock, which like vegetables, for the mainstream, have become monocultures.... so, I raise two of the rare heritage breeds to help keep the lines going.  These are Silver Fox and American Chinchilla.  I also raise two smaller breeds, smaller as far as meat breeds go, but they are still much bigger than most "pets", these are Harlequin and Rex.  My breeder rabbits are named and will live with me until they pass on or find pet homes when they retire.  Most of the kits will go in my freezer or be sold to others that want pets or to start breeding heritage breeds.  My Silver Fox and American Chinchilla are pedigreed while my Harlequin and Rex are pure breeds from good rabbitries, I chose not to get their pedigrees.

Silver Fox:
Buck - Ronan from Whitmore Farms in MD
Doe - Rowan from Skogafell Farms in NH

American Chinchilla:
Buck - Ash
Doe - Berkana

Mixed Silver Fox/American Chinchilla:
Doe - Heather (from Ronan and Berkana)

Harlequin:
Does - Holly and Hazel
Buck - Darroch

Rex:
Does - Rosemary and Cassia
Buck - Telsy

Currently I have 6 "teenage" Harlequins growing out and the exciting news!!!!!!!

Rowan kindled and has 6 kits now!!!!! I have had Rowan a couple years and she has failed to kindle every time she has been bred.  I was at the point that she was going to be adopted out as a pet but she must have heard me! LOL I bred all my does at the same time and she is the only one to kindle so far, it is possible there will be more babies when I get home but we shall see...I am just happy she finally had babies!!!!

Hail Freyr!

No comments:

Post a Comment