Sunday, October 7, 2012

Baked salmon w/artichoke and sundried tomato; Kale and Kielbasa soup

Well, today is rainy and chilly so my outdoor plans for working on the coop doors has been postponed... so now I am studying and watching cooking shows as background noise. Study days make the kids happy. They see that study blanket come out and they pile on... nicely keeping my feet warm!


I figured I would post my recipes for the weekend so far.  Friday night I made a baked salmon.  I get salmon from a local seafood shop and luckily have a wonderful barter going exchanging farm fresh eggs for fish weekly.  So, with a salmon ready to be cooked, I stuck it in a pan and covered it with sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts with a bulb of garlic to roast on the side.  The sundried tomatoes are mine, I make a big batch every summer (a gallon container) from my own or local farmer's tomatoes.  I use my dehydrator and store them in olive oil and they last me through the year.  I love sundried tomatoes but I hate the price and the other junk in the store bought ones!  I believe this year I will have the same as last year, a big fall harvest of my own roma tomatoes...there are tons of green ones on the plants now, last year they did the same thing and I had a big harvest the end of October!  So, I will have lots of sundried tomatoes and hopefully some more sauce too.  Anyway, dinner Friday night was the salmon that I baked along with a simple salad, lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber from my CSA.

Saturday I made a dish I remember my Mom making alot when I was a kid.  Portuguese Kale Soup.  I made it without the starches since I am doing my best to eat primal.  There was kale in the CSA veggies this week and I had gotten local kielbasa earlier in the week from a local butcher shop.  This soup is supposed to be made with linguisa but kielbasa is as close as I can get here.  It was a really simple soup to put together.  I used some beef stock that I made from bones I got from the same butcher shop.  I sauteed an onion, then slices of the kielbasa and then the torn pieces of kale in coconut oil.  I put the onion, kielbasa and kale in the beef broth and let it cook for about half hour.  I baked an acorn squash, also from the CSA in the oven for about 45 minutes to have alongside.  I added just some butter (also local but not my own, I need to make some more) and a bit of red pepper flakes and paprika to the squash.  It was a nice fall meal of hearty soup and acorn squash.  The chickens love the skin and the seeds are very good for them so they enjoyed the dinner too!

For lunch Sunday I sauteed up a bit of the leftover salmon, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoe and roasted garlic.  I added just a tiny bit of taini on top so it was like a salad.  Yumm. 

Now, back to studying, midterms are this coming week!

1 comment: