Monday, October 22, 2012

Little bit more progress

I was away for the weekend and my brother took care of the animals.  He did a great job but one of the baby silver fox died, so I came home to that. *sigh*

Also, Mr. Royal Palm turkey has made his choice, he is freezer bound.  He escaped over the weekend and went to fight with Big Tom and Mr. Buff.  He originally lived with them but was fighting like crazy in the spring, I thought it was just the time of year. Well, he was kind of a jerk where he was with the ducks.  Now it is just him, Mr. Black and Mr. Goose in a pen.  Today he got out again and was beating up Henry, my rooster.  Henry is valuable so that was the last strike.  I can't have anyone intent on hurting others that are important to me and the success of this homestead.  I have another Royal Palm that is a teenager so I am not sure if it is a he or she yet.  I do want to continue this breed so I guess I will have to figure that out in the spring...hopefully I can find a mate for her or him.

I got a bit of work done outside today.  I got most of the 2nd layer of fencing on the new "grow out" pen, so hopefully that pen will be secure.  I want to put the ducks to grow out in there but am concerned about the owls...it is high enough that the ducks shouldn't fly out but without netting on top I am a bit worried. (and I don't have the money for all that netting and the support it would take over that big an expanse). Hopefully in a few weeks I can finish that...so I have to decide if I risk the ducks or no.  I think they will be healthier if I put them in the larger pen then finish the permanent home for the girls and two drakes I am keeping of the Muscovies and the girls and one drake of the Khaki Campbellsin their own new home.  Decisions...

So, one more step...

No comments:

Post a Comment