Thursday, October 4, 2012

Introduction post

I am starting this blog for a couple reasons.  First, I have learned so much from other folks' blogs in this journey of learning to homestead, I feel it is time to give back.  Second, so many of them talk about their faith and the part it plays in their reason for homesteading... most of them are christian, which is great but I am of a different faith.  I am pagan, a witch following the Norse gods and part of an eclectic wiccan tradition.  The reason I homestead, raise my own animals and as much of my vegetables as possible is directly tied into my beliefs. 

Living close to the land, being a good steward to both the Earth and the animals that She supports is incredibly important to me.  I was a vegetarian for 25 years and have only started to eat meat the past couple of years.  My reason for not eating meat totally had to do with the industry, the way animals are raised and the monoculture of farms that use an enourmous amount of pesticides and fertilizers that are poisoning our land and waters.  I only eat meat that I have raised or is locally and conscientously raised - no CAFO raised meat.  I am very much a Localvore and believe in supporting the local economy and reducing shipping.  In fact, if it weren't for coffee, tea and the produce I grew up with in Florida - and raised in my families' yards,  (citrus fruits, bananas, avocados, mangoes and coconuts) I could totally live on what is produced locally.  I did not grow up on a farm, I grew up in the subarbs of South Miami with aunts and uncles in the country many hours away.  However, we had a mango, finger bananas, lime and coconut trees in our yard, my one grandmother had avocadoes and my other grandparents had tangerines, tangelos, oranges and large bananas, while my aunts and uncles grew sugar cane and grapefruit.  So, if I could grow all that here, in Delaware, I would be all set!  (wait a few years and it might actually be a possibility!!!)

So, I am a Locavore and a "back to the land" proponent.  I am doing this pretty much all on my own, on rented land and have made many mistakes and learned many hard lessons.  I have only been doing this a few years so I am still trying to figure many things out.  Along this path, I am also trying to learn to lead a simpler, less cluttered life...this is a big long term project but I am making slow progress.  I also work full time and go to school nearly full time.  So, time management is a big issue...plainly there are not enough hours in the day.

I will use this blog to talk about my experiences, the good, the bad, the happy and the sad.  I will also post recipes (since I am just learning how to cook and experiment too), post about the "kids" - them all being furry and featherheaded! And I will talk about the spiritual side occasionally too.

Bright Blessings,

Vanadisflame

No comments:

Post a Comment