Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Weekend and Tuesday foods

I am a bit behind on the food for the weekend and tonight is Primal Tuesday. Dinner was not totally primal but it was still good real food.

Blackeyed Peas with cornbread
Cornbread in milk
Applecider donuts
Lentils with tomatoes and smoked ham



So, dinner Friday was Black eyed peas cooked with a ham hock and real southern corn bread (no sugar!) This was the first full dinner I made after the new year...and since it is a traditional new year dish I decided i should try it.  It came out really good.

Black Eyed Peas Soup:
1 lb dried blackeyed peas
Ham hock
3 cups home made chicken stock
3 cups water
couple cloves garlic
cayenne
cumin

let cook in crockpot all day - saute ham hock slices in cast iron pan and sprinkle on top of soup.

Cornbread:
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour (organic white)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs (local organic, of course)
2/3 cup melted butter
1 cup buttermilk (or whole milk if don't have, I used raw that was just starting to sour)
baking grease for pan

put cast iron pan with baking grease in it in an oven set to 425 degrees.  Mix ingredients and pur in hot pan and put back in oven for 20 minutes.

Saturday morning breakfast:

Cornbread in a glass of milk with pepper.



Apple Cider Donuts
Sunday morning was definitely not paleo but I made apple cider donuts, baked and with a bit Vietnamese cinnamon.  Not primal but still real food.

2 cups flour (I used organic white this time but want to try with other flours)
3/4 cups sugar (organic cane sugar...want to try honey net time)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt (I use pink Himalayan that I use for bread)
1/4 tsp each nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon (I used Vietnamese which is strong)
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup applesauce (I used my own unsweetened)
2 eggs (from my hens of course)
1 tsp vanilla (I used some that I made, it is pretty strong)

And tonight: (sorry no pic) Lentils with tomatoes that I canned and ham left over from making the black eyed peas along with caesar salad and naan from the Indian store (I haven't learned how to make them yet).

I used the crock pot, added about 3/4 lb lentils, 4 cups water, a quart of canned tomatoes, bit of chili powder, ginger, garlic and fresh cut onion then just let it cook all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment